LEHM 2016 – International Conference on Building with Earth
For practitioners and manufacturers, students and educators, architects and academics and all who are interested in the potential of earth as a sustainable building material, the LEHM 2016 conference offers an opportunity to see, discuss and keep up with innovative developments in the field.
The Dachverband Lehm e. V. is the German Association for Building with Earth. Every four years the DVL organises the international LEHM conference in an earth building region in Germany. In addition to the conference programme and field trips in the region, participants will have ample opportunity to exchange information about new earth building products and technologies worldwide.
The LEHM 2016 is the 7th International Conference on Building with Earth and takes place from 12 – 14 November 2016 in Weimar, the cradle of German Classicism, birthplace of the Bauhaus and a UNESCO World Heritage site. The conference will take place in the Kulturzentrum mon ami in the heart of Weimar’s historical town centre.
Immediately preceding the LEHM 2016 conference is the denkmal Leipzig Trade Fair for Conservation, Restoration and Building Renovation with a dedicated section on earth building. The trade fair takes place from 10-12 November in Leipzig, an hour’s train journey from Weimar, and represents an ideal opportunity to see new building products and techniques first hand prior to the conference.
Conference Programme (12 – 14 November 2016)
In addition to the speakers’ presentations, the conference includes an accompanying poster session. The conference will be held in German and English with simultaneous interpreting.
Saturday – 12 November 2016
9.00 a.m. – Welcome
Session A – Saturday from 9.30 a.m.
- Mixed topics
- Schroeder, H.; Lemke, M. Dachverband Lehm e.V., D
- Sustainability of earth building materials – Environmental product declarations as a competition instrument in the building material industry
- Venkatarama Reddy; Iype, N., George, S. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Indien
- Large-scale dissemination of stabilised soil blocks – A case study of GoodEarth eco-homes
- Keable, R.; Brown, M.; Faria, P.; Costi de Castrillo, M.; Didier, L. Pirate Project, EU
- European co-operation in developing earth building training standards: results of the Pirate project
Session B – Saturday from 11.30 a.m.
- Mixed topics
- Ziegert, C.; Röhlen, U.; Schroeder, H. Dachverband Lehm e.V., D
- Codes and rules for earth building materials in Germany
- Klinge, A.; Roswag-Klinge, E.; Fontana, P.; Hoppe, J.; Richter, M.; Sjöström, C. ZRS Architects and Engineers, Berlin; BAM, D
- Reducing the need for mechanical ventilation using climate-responsive natural building materials – experience from the H-House EU research project and professional practice
- Kraler, D.; Lachberger, C. Technical University of Vienna, A
- Healthcare centre in Mondikolok, South Sudan
Session C – Saturday from 2.00 p.m.
- New Research on Building with Earth
- Maskell, D.; Thomson, A.; Walker, P.; Lemke, M. BRE University of Bath; ModCell, Bristol; Claytec e.K, Viersen, UK/D
- Direct measurement of effective moisture buffering penetration depths in clay plasters
- Miccoli, L.; Silva, R.; Oliveira, D. V.; Drougkas, A. BAM; ISISE University of Minho; University of Athens, D/PT/GK
- Numerical modelling of rammed earth under different in-plane load conditions
- Luís Mateus, L.; Rosário Veiga, M.; de Brito, J. Instituto Superior Técnico, Lisbon, Portugal
- In situ characterisation of external ancient renderings of rammed earth constructions in the Algarve and of potential replacement commercial pre-mixed renderings
- Růžička, J.; Divis, J.; Stanek, K.; Havlik, F.; Richter, J. CVUT Faculty of Civil Engineering, Prague, CZ
- The influence of natural clays and earthen structures on the relative humidity of internal microclimates
Session D – Saturday, 4.30 – 6.30 p.m.
- Norms and Regulations
- Paul, A.; Ziegert, C.; Fontana, P. BAM; ZRS Architects and Engineers, Berlin, D
- StandardBoard – A product standard for earth panels
- Wilson, Q.C.; Higbee-Barzola, K.; Stickney, B.; Friedman, G. Northern New Mexico College; Arizona State University; SolarLogic, LLC.; Santa Fe Community College, USA
- When thermal mass becomes resistance
- Mock, S.; Müller, T.K.; Meurer G. Hochschule Koblenz University of Applied Sciences, WEM GmbH, D
- Sound insulation in residential construction in connection with locally and naturally available earth building materials
Session E – Saturday, 2.00 – 4.00 p.m.
- Earth Building Education
- Küsel, C.; Jörchel, S. Dachverband Lehm e.V., D
- How can we introduce earth as a building material into teaching and vocational training?
- Wolff, B. Hochschule Wismar University of Applied Sciences, D
- Earth building as an opportunity for greater practical orientation in university curricula
- Viviana Arriola Vigo, B.; del Rosario Velasco García, M. UPC Peruvian University of Applied Sciences, Lima, Peru
- Learning by doing: building with earth at the Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas
- Maskell, D.; Keable, R. BRE University of Bath; Earth Building UK and Ireland, UK
- Development of earth occupation standards within the UK
Session E will be held in English with Q&As in English and German
Session F – Saturday, 4.30 – 6.00 p.m.
- Sustainable Building with Earth
- Roswag-Klinge, E. ZRS Architects and Engineers, Berlin, D
- New life for a peat barn as a house and workshop, Schechen
- Jörchel, S. Ing. Büro S. Jörchel, D/Nepal/UAE
- Earth – an essential building material for vernacular architecture in arid and semi-arid climate zones
Session F will be held in English with Q&As in English and German
Sunday – 13 November 2016
Session G – Sunday from 8.30 a.m.
- Mixed topics
- Müller, U., Miccoli, L., Fontana, P. CBI Swedish Cement and Concrete Research Institute, Borås, Sweden; Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM), Berlin, D
- A lime-based grouting material for the repair of earthen structures
- Volhard, F. Schauer + Volhard Architects, D
- New application techniques and construction methods for light earth in timber architecture
- Glück, T. Glück Lehmbau GbR, D
- Modern rammed earth projects in Germany and Austria
- Lemke, M. Sansplui Business Consulting, D
- Thin-layer coloured clay plasters for modern sustainable interiors
Session H – Sunday from 11.00 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Renovation Practice
- Blaschek, J.A. Technical University of Vienna, Institute of Art History, Building Research and Conservation, A
- Traces of earth – How the history of earth building in Austria can inform modern sustainable construction methods
- Ziegert, C.; Roswag-Klinge, E. ZRS Architects and Engineers, Berlin, D
- Internal insulation of historic buildings with earth building materials
- Akman, A. YBE Turkish Institute of Building Biology and Ecology, Turkey
- Student projects for modern earth building in traditional earth villages in Central Anatolia
- Voth, H.; Roswag-Klinge, E.; Brockmann, H.; Klinge, A.; Ziegert, C. Voth Marocain nejma Foundation; ZRS Architects and Engineers, Berlin, Morocco/D
- Celestial Stair, Golden Spiral and City of Orion – maintaining the works of Hannsjörg Voth in the Plaine de Marha, Morocco
A poster sessions will take place alongside the conference featuring posters on the following topics:
- Arrigoni, A.; Ciancio, D.; Beckett, C.; Dotelli, G.; Pelosato, R.; Bellotto, M.; Fiore, R.; Gallo Stampino, P.; Sabbadini, S. – Chemiplastica Specialties spa Zona Industriale, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
a.) A new sustainable future for stabilised rammed earth
b.) Stabilisation of unfired earth for buildings using lime and polymeric dispersants
- Baglioni, E. – architect, Italy
A laboratory of natural building
- Bougherara, S. – Town and Heritage Laboratory, University of Constantine, Algeria
Adobe construction in Algeria – between past and present
- Cheung, G.-W.; Grimm, M. – Anhalt University of Applied Arts; architect and earth builder, D
Reinventing the African mud hut together
- Cazorla; C.; Mileto, C.; Vegas, F. ; García Soriano, L.; Cristini, V. – Universitat Politècnica de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Earth architecture: traditional constructions in the fertile lands of Northern Valencia / The SOS-Tierra Project – restoration and rehabilitation of traditional earth architecture in the Iberian Peninsula
- Hanzlíková, M.; Nebesař, B. – National Heritage Institute, Regional Office of Central Bohemia in Prague, db v.o.s. CZ
Relocation and renovation of one of the last houses with a “podsíň” (a porch under an extended gable) in the Czech Republic
- Hoppe, P.; Schneider, H. – Faculty of Architecture, RWTH Aachen, D
Small and medium-sized rammed earth elements for vertical building elements – studies of functional and aesthetic aspects in their application
- Ikechukwu, O.; Ben Ugochukwu, I., I Obi, L. – Imo State University, Owerri, Nigeria
An assessment of earth building adaptation and growth in South East Nigeria / Sustainable building materials for low-cost housing production and supply in South East Nigeria: A value engineering approach
- Jorge Calderon, J. – the earth lab, Mexico
Earth in modern USGBC LEED-Certified Buildings: Auditorium, Museo PetStar, Mexico
- Keable, R. – Rammed Earth Consulting, UK
Perfection is the enemy of the good: how rammed earth can be both normal and affordable
- Mara Henneberg de Leon, A. – Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Testing the suitability of stabilised earth mixtures for clay plasters
- Miranda Araújo Santos, L.; Alves de Azerêdo, G.; Rocha Meira, G.; dos Santos Farias, P.; Teixeira. D.; Guedes, L.; Figueirêdo Nóbrega de Azerêdo, A. – Federal University of Paraíba, Brazil
Evaluation of the resistance of compressed earth blocks (BTC) when exposed to chloride solution / Durability of compressed earth blocks when exposed to water
- Miranda Araújo Santos, L.; Figueirêdo Nóbrega de Azerêdo, A.; Alves de Azerêdo, G.; Ricardo Honório de Assis, S.; de Almeida Queiroz, F.; Perazzo Barbosa, N.; Maviael de Carvalho, C.; da Silva Felix, A.; Lima de Almeida Victor Medeiros, B.; Perazzo Barbosa, N.; Ghavami, K. – Federal University of Paraíba; Federal University of Campina Grande, Brazil
Mineralogical, physical and mechanical properties of clays for use in adobe blocks / Stabilisation of compressed earth blocks with ceramic residue as a partial replacement for Portland cement / Durability of adobes stabilised by alkaline activation: evaluation of resistance to erosion
- Sachdeva, P.; Meurer, G. – Pradeep Sachdeva Design Associates; WEM Wandheizung GmbH, India/D
Heating of a luxury resort in the Indian Himalayas using clay heating ceiling panels
- Schick, F. – Jade HS in Oldenburg, D/Uganda
School for forestry and agriculture in Uganda
- Walker, P.; Maskell, D.; Heath, A.; Reddy, B.V. – University of Bath; Indian Institute of Science, India/UK
Earth and healthy buildings
Last amended: 2 November 2016. Programme amendments possible.