LEHM 2020 – International Conference on Building with Earth
LEHM 2020 goes online!
On the occasion of the LEHM 2020 – 8th International Conference on Building with Earth, we are pleased to present the entire conference programme online in German and English.
While the LEHM 2020 has been cancelled due to the rapidly developing coronavirus situation, the knowledge and expertise of the presenters and contributors can still be made available for the benefit of the earth building community.
The online conference contains each of the presentations available to download as PDF files in German and English. The topics range from modern earth building, current norms and research and innovative product developments to sustainability and conservation in earth building: » LEHM 2020 online
All the conference papers and posters are also available collected together in a bilingual digital conference proceedings. The USB-Stick also contains the entire conference proceedings form the preceding LEHM conferences in 2004, 2008, 20012, and 2016. Full details in the DVL shop: » Order USB Stick
The Dachverband Lehm e. V. (DVL) is the German Association for Building with Earth. Every four years the DVL organises an international conference on building with earth in a different earth building region in Germany. After the conferences in 1994, 1997, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016, the LEHM 2020 is the eighth such event organised by the Dachverband Lehm e. V. Each of these events has attracted several hundred participants from around the world.
The LEHM 2020 includes the Earth Building Conference with presentations and an accompanying poster session and excursions.
As part of the LEHM 2020, an DVL Earth Building Prize 2020 will be awarded that recognises outstanding academic theses from authors in the field of earth building (to be announced separately by the Dachverband Lehm e. V.).
For further information, see the reviews of the LEHM 2016, LEHM 2012 and LEHM 2008 conferences.
Conference Programme (30 – 31 October 2020)
In addition to the speakers’ presentations, the conference includes an accompanying poster session.
» Download the conference programme (PDF)
Friday – 30 October 2020
9.00 a.m. – Welcome
Session A – Auditorium – Friday from 9.30 a.m.
- Mixed topics
- Ziegert C., Röhlen U., Schroeder H. Dachverband Lehm, D
- The success story of earth building material standards in Germany
- Radeljić L., Roswag-Klinge E. ZRS architects engineers, D
- Healing Garden Chamchamal – Transforming valuable building heritage into modern earthen architecture
- Streiff F., Goodhew S. Parc naturel regional des Marais du Cotentin et du Bessin, F / University of Plymouth, UK
- CobBauge – A hybrid walling technique combining mechanical and thermal performance
Session B – Auditorium – Friday from 11.30 a.m.
- Modern Earth Building
- Jeske S. Clément Vergély Architectes, F + Diener & Diener Architekten, CH
- L´Orangerie – A new generation of earth building in Lyon
- Haas M. haascookzemmrich STUDIO2050, D
- The Alnatura Campus by haascookzemmrich STUDIO2050
- Rauch M. Lehm-Ton-Erde, A
- Non-stabilised rammed earth – 100% EARTH. Why is it so hard to trust in 100%?
Session C – Auditorium – Friday from 2.00 p.m.
- New Research on Building with Earth
- Liebrich C. MFPA Weimar, D
- Wallpapering earth walls – (Not) a good idea?!
- Michette M. University of Oxford, UK
- Mechanisms and applications of clay barriers for sealing masonry
- Liblik J. Tallinn University of Technology, EST
- Properties of clay plaster for the fire design of timber structures
- Wiehle P., Brinkmann M. BAM/TU Darmstadt, D
- The load bearing capacity of earth masonry – An experimental and numerical analysis
Session D – Auditorium – Friday, 4.30 – 6.30 p.m.
- Modern Earth Building
- Schneider W. Institut für Baubiologie und Nachhaltigkeit – IBN, D
- New headquarters for the Institute of Building Biology and Sustainability
- Depta J., Legge G. LehmBauWerk / Architekturbüro Dipl.-Ing. Gereon Legge, D
- Rammed earth wall lining at the Leibniz Institut in Potsdam / Self-supporting rammed earth summerhouse in Falkensee
- Kienzle P. Xanten Archaeological Park, D
- A low-tech depot for historical finds from Roman times
Session E – Parallel Track – Friday, 2.00 – 4.00 p.m.
- Sustainable Building with Earth
- Paul R., Changali S. Masons Ink, Bangalore, India
- A study of the use of natural biopolymers in traditional earthen dwellings in Kerala, India
- Pachamama R., Rezende M., Faria P. Built Environment and Sustainable Heritage – EA-UFMG, Brazil
- Evaluating the physical and mechanical properties of earth plasters with cow dung – A vernacular solution for earth building in Brazil
- Wolff B., Ofori-Nyarko E. D/Ghana
- Earth LEGO at Lake Agege Farm – A sustainable building innovation from Ghana
Session F – Parallel Track – Friday, 4.30 – 6.00 p.m.
- Earth Building Education
- Lee S-H. TKK College, Xiamen University, China
- Academic earth building courses and the genius loci of the Fujian Tolou world heritage and intangible heritage sites
- Küsel C., Wolff B., Jörchel S. Dachverband Lehm, D
- Current challenges and opportunities in training and further education in earth building
- Tourtelot J. et al. Laboratoire Navier, Univ. Paris-Est, Champs-sur-Marne, F
- Rheological behavior of earthen materials for 3D printing
Saturday – 31 October 2020
Session G – Auditorium – Saturday from 8.30 a.m.
- Sustainable Building with Earth
- Ben-Alon L. University of Pittsburgh, USA
- Integrating earthen building materials and methods using perception surveys and life cycle assessment (LCA)
- Klinge A., Roswag-Klinge E., Radeljić L., Bojic D. ZRS Architekten Ingenieure, D
- Earthen building materials as an opportunity to reduce mineral construction and demolition waste (CDW)
- De Cooman K. BC Architects, Belgium
- Down to earth: BC materials transforms urban excavated earth into building materials
- Schroeder H., Lemke M. Dachverband Lehm, D
- The ecological life cycle assessment of earth building materials
Session H – Parallel Track – Saturday from 8.30 a.m.
- Innovative Products and Techniques
- Lange A. ArgillaTherm, D
- High-performance clay modules for climate control in buildings
- Meurer G. WEM, D
- Ceiling heating and cooling panels made of earth for a healthy room climate
- Röhlen U. Claytec e.K., D
- Fastening, tiling, machine processing – Everyday solutions for modern earthbuilding
- Volhard F. Schauer + Volhard Architects BDA
- Wood needs mass – Improving timber construction with earth building materials
Session I – Auditorium – Saturday from 11.00 a.m. – 1.30 p.m.
- Renovation Practice
- Haupts H.
- Historical hybrid wood and earth constructions in Norway. Vapour-permeable surfaces as an answer to the challenges of renovation
- Rocher S, Yuffa A., Ziegert C. ZRS Ltd., UAE
- Earth plaster as a means of salt reduction in historical brick and natural stone masonry – Principles, mechanisms and experience
- van Ess M., Blaschek J. Deutsches Archäologisches Institut (DAI), D/Iraq
- Preservation of the Iraqi Archaeological Architectural Heritage – Current conservation projects in Uruk (southern Iraq)
Session J – Parallel Track – Saturday from 11.00 a.m. – 1.30 p.m.
- Standards and Regulations
- McGregor F., Maillard P., Olivier M., Misse A. et al. ENTPE, University of Lyon / CTMNC / CRATERRE / LMDC, University of Toulouse / CEREMA / BRIQUES TECHNIC CONCEPT, France
- Revising the French experimental standard for unfired earth blocks
Last amended: 25 October 2020. Programme amendments possible.
Poster contributions will be published digitally as part of the conference proceedings on the following topics:
- Ardant, Daria; Brumaud, Coralie; Habert, Guillaume – Chair of Sustainable Construction, ETH Zürich, Switzerland
The slower it is, the stronger it will be: how to improve poured earth strength without stabilization.
- Barbalho, Vitória Maria Regis de Oliveira Lima Barbalho; Sanches, Felipe Danzmann Roboredo; Muniz, Raul Souza; De Souza, João Jarllys Nóbrega; De Azeredo, Givanildo Alves – Universidade Federal da Paraíba/UFPB, Brazil
Alkali activated compressed eearth blocks (CEBs) by one-part mixture method
- Beygi, Sonia; Khosravi, Marjan
Earthen architecture as an enabler for regenerating the identity of Bam after the earthquake
- Brumaud, Coralie; Julloux, Adrien; Habert, Guillaume; Perrot, Arnaud – Université Bretagne Sud, France & Chair of Sustainable Construction, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Variability of clay in poured earth
- Daube, Larissa – Professur Massivbau II, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, Germany
Entwicklung von hochleistungsfähigen Lehmtafeln als attraktives Bauprodukt der Zukunft
- Di, Yu; Brumaud, Coralie; Habert, Guillaume – Chair of Sustainable Construction, ETH Zürich, Switzerland
Effect of oak tannin and iron chloride on the rheological properties of clay pastes
- Hakim-Ebrahimi, Mohammadullah
Affordable construction: adobe and compressed earth blocks based on local materials, the case of Kabul
- Hartmann, Frank – Forum Wohnenergie, Germany
Wohltemperierte Erdenkörper im Innenraum … als solarthermisch Bauteilaktivierung gleichermaßen wie zum Heizen und Kühlen
- Isik, Prof Dr Bilge – Istanbul Technical University / kerpic.org
Hypothesis on earthquake risk preparedness on in-use earthen buildings
- Landrou, Gnanli; Demoulin, Thibault; Weippert, Roland; Caruso, Francesco; Chabanne, Julien – Oxara, ETH Zürich, Switzerland
From research to industry: On the way to implement poured earth concrete without cement
- Lee, Eunjoo – Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
Comparative approach to rammed earth building standards in nations
- Mirai, Tono – Tono Mirai architects, Karuizawa/Nagano, Japan
Shell house – The language of the forest
- Vazquez Guillamet, Guillermo – Estructuras GVG, Arquitecto Técnico. Barcelona
Adobe, dwellings and malaria – A challenge in sub-saharan Africa
- Walker, Pete; Klinge, Andrea; Roswag-Klinge, Eike – BRE Centre for Innovative Construction Materials, University of Bath, UK & ZRS Architekten Ingenieure, Berlin / D & Natural Building Lab, TU Berlin, Germany
Characterising the moisture buffering potential of clay plasters